|Essential Functions of Retail Management Position|
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store® attempts to hire the most qualified candidates. We attempt to identify those individuals that have the experiences and the personal attributes that should lead to each person’s success and satisfaction in obtaining and continuing employment with the Company.
Likewise, each person’s abilities and performance should help insure long and continued success for the Company. Therefore, it is necessary that you be able to meet or exceed each of the conditions and standards listed below, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The following is a list of what Cracker Barrel considers the essential functions for the Retail Manager. While this list is not an all-inclusive job description, it is important that you read and have a clear understanding of these duties, functions and/or characteristics that are considered fundamental to the Retail Manager position. If there is a function listed for which you may need a reasonable accommodation, notify your supervisor, training supervisor, or recruiter.
The Company, for accuracy, will periodically review this list. Cracker Barrel reserves the right to change, add to, or delete items from the list. Cracker Barrel complies fully with the Americans with Disabilities Act and does not allow disability or the need for reasonable accommodation to affect the terms or conditions of employment.
1. Be prepared to perform all of the essential functions
for each of the Retail Personnel and Cashier positions.
Awareness/Perception1. Analyze and interpret data. Identify the critical elements, see relationships of data, and apply the proper solutions.
2. Understand each hourly job and the role of job skills role in the overall successful operation of the unit.
3. Realize one’s own limitations and know when to ask for direction, guidance, or help.
4. Anticipate the unexpected, e.g., a bus of Guests with special needs arrives during lunch rush.
5. Learn from mistakes and not repeat the same mistakes.
6. Strive to maximize and appropriately utilize all resources available, both human and physical, for effective operation of the unit.
7. Have moderate, practical, working math and number skills, including fractions, etc. to ensure accuracy.
Communication Skills1. Be able to understand, use, and comprehend the English language, both written and verbal, that will promote effective two-way communication
with employees, co-workers, and Guests.
2. Transmit verbal and written information and ideas in a timely manner clearly understandable to the receiver, adapting amount, style, and
content to the needs of the receiver.
3. Listen when others speak and ascertain their message through verbal and non-verbal communication and respond in an appropriate manner.
4. Use appropriate communicative emphasis for leading and motivating individuals and large groups of employees.
5. Understand appropriate times to communicate, when to ask questions, and when to give instructions.
6. Periodically meet with management team and employees to share information about store goals, employee relations, and customer service.
7. Maintain high visibility in order to ensure availability and to evidence concern for employee and customer needs.
8. Regularly remind employees about daily and seasonal specials and area events.
9. Maintain an open line of communication with retail employees, store management, District Managers and Home Office.
Control and Follow Up1. Use effective time management skills completing all necessary tasks on a timely basis.
2. Develop and implement a routine and system in shift management, check at regular intervals the points of control - shop and cashier - which
directly affect guest service.
3. Regularly review the status of delegated tasks and projects establishing check points, benchmarks and deadlines.
4. Monitor employees’ performance against goals and predetermined measures of quality giving them adequate feedback on a timely basis.
5. Ensure that equipment is maintained; supervise cleaning and maintenance of equipment and arrange for repairs, contracts and other services
through the General Manager.
6. Review sales and merchandise and labor costs to ensure efficient operation and that expenditures stay within budget limitations; take action to correct any deviations from the budget.
7. Understand basic principles of display and ensure that Cracker Barrel visual merchandising standards are maintained on a consistent basis.
Decisiveness/Initiative1. Possess good and effective decision making skills.
2. Work independently with the appropriate amount of direction, guidance and supervision, take immediate action and be able to give rationale
3. Initiate well-planned programs, making specific recommendations or solutions to problems, giving reasons for and desired results of the
recommendations or solutions.
4. Consistently set a good example in work habits, disposition and attitude.
5. Display appropriate self-confidence and self-assurance.
Integrity1. Maintain the highest personal ethical and professional standards and demand the same from staff, employees and purveyors.
2. Promote common trust among employees, staff and Guests.
3. Ensure accurate reporting in all matters.
4. Accept and promote the Cracker Barrel philosophies of quality and Guest satisfaction, adhering to Cracker Barrel standards of consistent,
superior products and services.
5. Ensure conduct and behavior is consistent with Cracker Barrel policies, procedures and guidelines, as well as in accordance with federal, state
and local law.
Interpersonal1. Generate mutual respect and good rapport with supervisors, employees, management staff, and Guests.
2. Empathize with others and respond appropriately.
3. Interact effectively and work harmoniously and courteously with management, employees and Guests, not allowing differences in personality
to interfere with a good working relationship.
4. Demonstrate a positive attitude toward employees and toward one’s work.
5. Project to others appropriate maturity and professionalism.
6. Always demonstrate an even temper, optimistic outlook, and ability to overcome frustrations and expect the same from staff.
Judgment/Decision Making1. Possess decision-making skills necessary to effectively deal with a variety of situations and assess available information to be used in making
2. Possess flexibility in thinking and have the ability to apply new information appropriately; effectively use alternative courses of action when
3. Understand numbers and other math skills and deal easily with quantitative areas such as profit and loss statements.
Organizing and Planning
1. Establish active and effective courses of action
to achieve specific goals, set priorities for the most efficient use
of time and resources, and set
1. Accept accountability for one’s own
actions and for the actions of those reporting directly to him/her.
Desire1. Take pride in and give 100% effort to the job, be willing to exceed the expected for customer satisfaction, and strive
2. See the job through to completion, persisting in the face of obstacles.
Work Ethic/Sense of Urgency1. Show a sense of urgency, persistence, and a work ethic consistent with Cracker Barrel expectations.
2. Pace yourself to the demands of the unit.
3. React competently to situations in a timely manner changing priorities relative to the situation.
4. Maintain a consistent high level of performance.
|You can check us out on the NASDAQ Stock Market as CBRL or at www.crackerbarrel.com|